This is a living document and is frequently updated. Follow this page to be alerted when new content and information is added!
Here’s everything you need to know about the Open LMS 3.4 Maintenance Pack 2 Release.
Release to production 20 September 2018. The release time depends on your location and time zone:
- North America, Central America, South America (Virginia, USA datacenter): Clients will be upgraded according to their timezone:
- Eastern, Amazon and Newfoundland-Labrador Timezones: September 20th at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM EDT
- Central Timezone: September 20th at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM CDT
- Mountain and Pacific Timezones: September 20th at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM PDT
- South America (Sao Paulo, Brazil datacenter): September 20th at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM BRT
- EMEA (Frankfurt datacenter): September 20th at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM CEST
- APAC excluding Australia and New Zealand (Singapore datacenter): September 20th at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM SGT
- Australia and New Zealand (Sydney, AU datacenter): September 20th at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM AEST
Non-Production Sites Upgrade Schedule
To improve the quality of the upgrade process and shorten the production upgrade window, non-production (sandbox) sites will be upgraded on Thursday, September 13, 2018, between 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM EDT.
Downtime will be required for your production and non-production sites during this window.
Introducing Open LMS
We recently announced our strategic decision to exit the Moodle Certified Partner Program, and restated our fervent commitment to continue to provide clients with the most mature and stable Moodle-based Software as a Service (SaaS) product in the market and continue to support the Moodle project. With this change, we will accelerate investment and development of our SaaS Moodle-based product and continue driving innovation for the Moodle community.
Our decision to leave the Moodle Certified Partner Program does not affect in any way our unwavering support of open source and open standards. We have a very strong admiration for Moodle Pty and its contributions to education and the open-source community.
- Company strings updated to Blackboard Inc.
- Product strings updated to Open LMS
- Plugin first name updated to Open, such as Open Forum, Open Grader, Open Reports
- Images updated to Open LMS
Plugin reviews and updates
Updates to plugins you currently use will be made available on your site automatically; you do not need to request updates. Plugins you do not use will not be available automatically and you will need to request access to them by submitting a support ticket.
- Minor UI adjustments and improvements
- Originality report update
Bug fixes and minor enhancements
- Rebranding references in the product to Open LMS
- Replacing component names to Open prefix, such as Open Forums, Open Grader, Open Reports
SafeAssign Originality Report Redesign
We’ve updated the design of the SafeAssign Originality Report in all Moodle and Open LMS environments. The new Originality Report uses Blackboard’s Ultra design philosophy and includes some new information about a submission’s overall risk for being copied from another source. This new report interface is also more responsive for mobile devices and more accessible to screen readers than the old design; we will be seeking VPAT compliance for this new design soon! This release also allows the SafeAssign team to be more iterative and provide updates to the new report design on a more regular basis and without requiring an update on to the LMS platform.
We’ll still be communicating changes on the SafeAssign help pages, so make sure and follow those pages as well for new information!
Users can switch back to the old Originality Report design for a little while longer to help ease the transition.
Blackboard Learn users can expect an update for Learn that contains the new Originality Report design soon!
Drift subscription for admin notifications
Open LMS site administrators have the option to receive notifications about important news and updates for Open LMS, directly from within Open LMS. To subscribe to this communications channel, it is required that the user is configured as a site administrator in Open LMS. If the user has this role, a link to ‘Drift Subscription’ would appear in user’s profile page.
This link redirects to a new page in which the user can subscribe or unsubscribe to Drift notifications. This page contains information about the use for personal data for the integration. The data used for the integration is captured to target the appropriate language to display the notifications and to personalize the experience, for example greeting you by your name and dismissing notifications you’ve already seen.
Drift widget would appear after the user has subscribed to the notifications service and only if there are any news, updates, or information pending to be delivered.