Here’s everything you need to know about the Open LMS 3.10 Release. This is a working document, so follow this page and check back often for updates!
1. Release Schedule
- North America, Central America, South America (Virginia, USA datacenter): Clients will be upgraded according to their data center timezone:
- Eastern, Amazon, and Newfoundland-Labrador Timezones: July 8 at 12:30 AM – 6:30 AM EDT
- Central Timezone: July 8 at 12:30 AM – 6:30 AM CDT
- Mountain and Pacific Timezones: July 8 at 12:30 AM – 6:30 AM PDT
- South America (Sao Paulo, Brazil datacenter): July 8 at 12:30 AM – 6:30 AM BRT
- EMEA (Frankfurt datacenter): July 8 at 12:30 AM – 6:30 AM CEST
- APAC excluding Australia and New Zealand (Singapore datacenter): July 8 at 12:30 AM – 6:30 AM SGT
- Australia and New Zealand (Sydney, AU datacenter): July 8 at 12:30 AM – 6:30 AM AEST
Non-Production Sites Upgrade Schedule
We will upgrade non-production (sandbox) sites on Thursday, June 10, 2021, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM ET. Non-production upgrades occur during North American business hours to improve the quality of the upgrade process and shorten the production upgrade window.
Downtime will be required for your production and non-production sites during this window.
2. Major Features
1. Upgrade to Core 3.10.3
a. Recommended browsers:
Note: Moodle 3.10 does NOT support Internet Explorer 11.
Safari 7 and below has known compatibility issues with Moodle 3.10.
- Google Chrome
For the best experience and optimum security, we recommend that you keep your browser up to date.
For the full releases notes from Moodle.org, please see:
b. Moodle Highlights
Download course content
Users can now download course content by clicking a button that appears at the top of the course structure.
Please consider that this feature has to be enabled beforehand, in Site administration > Courses > Download course content, and in Site administration > Courses > Course default settings.
Admins can now customize the H5P styles so they match the look and feel of their institution.
In the content bank, users are now able to download or replace H5P content.
Now embedded H5P activities will display in the gradebook.
This new feature enables users to make a payment via PayPal or other payment gateways in order to be enrolled in a course.
To use enrolment on payment, an administrator first needs to enable one or more payment gateways and set up one or more payment accounts. Please read more about this feature here.
Quiz and questions improvements
Moodle core new features in this category include a new quiz completion condition based on the number of attempts, a scrolling timer for timed quizzes, and a maximum file size display for essay questions.
Improved UI and UX for the folder display and the possibility to view images directly on the browser.
3. Open LMS Highlights
Please watch our release video in our Youtube Channel.
a. UX and UI improvements
Centralized Content Management redesign
We enhanced our Centralized content management tool to make it easier for you to create content at scale and replicate it throughout your courses.
We changed the user experience design and the technology, to make it more user friendlier and modern looking.
Please consider the following.
There are three steps to create content in the Centralized content management tool:
- Create a master: Click on the Create Master button or on the tab. Search for a course that contains the resource you want to copy to create the master resource. (Please consider that the original resource needs to be created on the course beforehand)
Select the recourse and copy it as a Master in CCM.
Whatever change you make to this master resource will live in the CCM tool.
- Create a replica: Once you have created your master please click on the button Create replica.
Select the master you want to replicate, select the courses and corresponding sections where you want to add your resources. You can add as many courses as needed. Finish by creating the replicas.
- Changes to masters and propagation: Modify your masters in the CCM tool and save the changes. Then, select the replicas where you want your changes to be implemented. Click the propagate button. It can take up to 5 minutes to see the changes in all the replicas.
Please note that at the moment we support 4 types of resource: File, Page, Label and SCORM.
Quiz navigation improvement in Snap
If a quiz had more than 50 questions in Snap, the quiz navigation didn’t allow a proper interaction with the question buttons. This was redesigned and organized for a correct visualization and navigation of the different questions.
Page resource without any text
When the page resource didn’t contain text in Snap, all other contents were displayed to the left by default. This was resolved to improve the UX of all content types.
The “Pop-up” option in the page resource
The “Pop-up” option in the page resource was confusing for some of our users, so we removed it to improve the experience.
Admin SQL Report
The Admin SQL report in Snap have an important fix with the browse schema display.
b. Accessibility and VPAT
Within our roadmap, each quarter we have a devoted project to improve accessibility issues within our platform. To identify AX issues, we focus on three main sources:
- Issues found by the internal team, when reviewing a new Moodle version or general functionalities.
- Issues found by customers or final users that are particularly interested in improving the platform’s accessibility.
- Issues found in the VPAT. We have done the Voluntary Product Accessibility Template for two consecutive years, which allows us to identify AX issues.
2020 VPAT for Boost and Snap:
The Voluntary Product Accessibility Template is a third-party review of our platform, using Boost or Snap. It evaluates how accessible we are, and how every reviewed element complies with the Revised 508 Standards for IT accessibility.
We are committed to improve our accessibility and make Snap the most accessible Moodle theme. That is why we cover each case and propose a corresponding solution for the issue:
- If it’s a Moodle core structure issue
- We identify the issue.
- We propose a core patch and implement the patch so that it is no longer an issue within Open LMS (In Boost and Snap if possible).
- We send the core patch to Moodle so that they can implement the improvement and release it to the community.
- If it’s an issue of the theme or an Open LMS feature
- We identify the issue.
- We propose and implement a solution that gets shipped on the next release.
Underline decoration to elements in Snap course links
In Snap, when hovering over a link of an activity’s name (within a card) the link changes color, but it didn’t have an underline decoration. This was also the case of the navigation links to go to another section of the course, forum posts, and within the recent activities block. This was corrected to improve AX.
Custom Menu ID improvement
Snap has a custom menu that can be enabled and will display on the header in web resolutions, and on the footer for mobile resolutions. In all types of resolutions, the Custom menu had the same ID, which created accessibility issues.
Message icon title and on-hover message
In Snap, the message icon of the header didn’t have a title or a message when the icon was selected. This was added to ensure the correct accessibility of the icon.
Aria-labels and titles added
Aria-labels, title attributes, and alternative texts were added to different elements of Snap to ensure the correct reading capability of screen-readers on the page, with this in mind we added these attributes to multiple elements across Snap:
- The lock icon defined with ID #snap-restriction for all activities with restricted view.
- The hidden input that acts as a checkbox when showing or hiding an activity.
We made an effort to create a differentiator between duplicated ID’s for the restriction icon of an activity, which was creating an accessibility problem. We fixed this by appending a number at the end of the existing ID #snap-restriction, to associate them to the corresponding activity.
The Snap carousel of the front page was updated accordingly to improve its accessibility and keyboard navigation. Now it will display side controls and will be fully usable with the keyboard. The bottom controls will have the site navigation color to keep consistency with the look and feel.
4. Plugin reviews and updates
Review all plugins in our Plugin Matrix
Updates to plugins you are already using will be made available on your site automatically; you do not need to request it. Plugins you are not already using will not be available automatically and will need to be requested in a support ticket.
a. New core plugins
|Infected files report||2020110900||‘report_infectedfiles’|
b. New Open LMS plugins
|Course Size Report||2021040100||‘moodle-report_coursesize’|
|Bulk Block Creator||2021040600||‘moodle-local_bulkblock’|
Please note that these plugins are not available by default, they need to be requested via a support ticket
Course size report
This admin report calculates the size of file storage space occupied by categories and courses. Calculations are based on information stored in the table ‘files’.
- The report displays the size of the category (bolded) and course files.
- Categories can be drilled down with AJAX.
- The user file size is also calculated separately, and the total is displayed.
- The following display options are available:
- ‘Sort by’ (Size, A-Z, or Moodle™ sortorder),
- ‘Sort direction’ (Ascending, Descending),
- ‘Display sizes as’ (bytes, KB, MB, GB, or Auto).
Bulk block creator
When viewing a category, a link is added to the settings menu, Bulk block creator for themes like Boost and Classic.
In Snap, you can find the option in the settings menu of the view Manage courses and Categories.
Following this link presents the user with a selector to choose a block to add to ALL courses within that category (and sub-categories).
- User must have the local/bulkblock:use capability at the category level they’re working on.
- Blocks will only be added to the courses within the category that they have the block/BLOCKNAME:addinstance cap on (where BLOCKNAME is the block they’re trying to add).
- The block will only be added to a course if it doesn’t already have an instance of that block.
c. Community plugins
|Name||Old version||New version||Component|
|Big Blue Button||2019101003||2019101005||‘mod_bigbluebuttonbn’|
|Collapsed Topic format||2020071804||2020110905||‘format_topcoll’|
|Level up block||2020090300||2021042802||‘block_xp’|
d. OLMS maintained and vendor plugins
|Name||Old version||New version||Component|
|Microsoft Office 365||2020071502|
|MathType by WIRIS||2020090300|
d. End of life of plugins
We will remove the following plugins from the Open LMS code base and all information will be deleted.
To be removed in the 3.10 release
To be removed in the 3.11 release – December 2021
|Elluminate||‘block_elluminate’ and ‘mod_elluminate’|
|Content publisher||‘tool_cpub’ and ‘ltisource_cpub’|
5. Bug Fixes and Minor Enhancements
3.9 MP2 HF1
- Include the new session handler to the health.php page
- In Snap, when “grade display type” is set to “Real”, the course dashboard is not displaying the correct grade
- Snap – Increase the window of the deadlines refresh task and add a flag
- Update Instilled Video Moodle Plugin
- cachestore_rediscluster: Fix session handler in readonly mode
3.9 MP2 HF2
- An error is displayed when a folder is copied from the sharing cart
- In page resource with snap theme, the Block-level elements of HTML are not displayed correctly
3.9 MP2 HF3
- Remove unused random questions with configurable batch size schedule task may leave open transaction
- Drag and drop onto image causes dragged images to disappear in Snap
- Snap – Quiz Navigation does not display all questions
- Snap deadlines refresh task is failing
3.9 MP2 HF4
- Snap theme: When the page resource does not contain text, the content is moved to the left causing it not to be displayed correctly
3.9 MP2 HF5
- Conduit & My Account – Nav item bottom padding
- Snap – Limit maximum courses to be shown completion in PM via a flag
- Upgrade eude dashboard
- Proctortrack – Error message is displayed when Quiz is attempted
3.9 MP2 HF6
- Snap – Deadline queries can be cached for a set of courses and groups
- Invalid Security Token error when uploading image in Content bank (backport MDL-69415)
- Japanese language pack displaying incorrect text for the “File” resource
- Backport – Uninstalled plugin breaks the custom lang tool if it had some strings customised (backport MDL-67515)
- Collab – An error is happening for large sessions in MP2 environments
3.9 MP2 HF7
- Backport security patches
3.9 MP2 HF8
- Snap deadlines – Improve refresh deadlines task so visibility is cached
3.9 MP2 HF9
- English (United states) – is displayed as the name of the language for non-English language if core language pack is not installed
3.9 MP2 HF10
- Activity stream plugin will try to insert duplicate notification ids
3.9 MP2 HF11
- Rubric and Marking Guide gray boxes and unclear error if configured incorrectly (backport MDL-69956)
3.9 MP2 HF12
- PLD – Error when add the course in the action “Enrol student in a course”
- Japanese language pack displaying incorrect text for the “File” resource
- Unable to edit course level permissions
- Live poll – Configuration doesn’t work due to firebase changes
- Firefox browser is displaying misaligned the right menu for activities
- Error when replying to a forum discussion using the (ja) language
- Download course content button is not displayed in Snap for students
- An error is displayed when the user tries to download course content
- Underline of links was removed
- AX Custom menu
- In Snap, using Windows OS, browse schema button in the Admin SQL Report is not displaying properly.
- AX Snap – message icon missing Title
- Backport security patches for 3.10
- Course activity metadata miscounts ungraded submissions when using separate groups and prohibiting capability to view all groups
- In Snap, the position of the search button does not allow the correct visualization of the path of the page
- The font color for the quiz timer is not visible
- The “Pop-up” option in the page resource should be hidden for the Snap theme, as it has no function
- Conduit does not sync custom course fields on updated transactions
- Deprecation warning in the OLMS Translation Manager
- AX Snap course improvements
- HVP Activity setting misplaced
- “Adding a drag and drop into text” question is not working