Here’s everything you need to know about the Open LMS 3.9 MP1 Release. This is a working document, so follow this page and check back often for updates!
1. Release Schedule
Open LMS Release Date
Production Data Center Upgrade Schedule
February 11, 2021
- North America, Central America, South America (Virginia, USA datacenter): Clients will be upgraded according to their timezone:
- Eastern, Amazon, and Newfoundland-Labrador Timezones: February 11, 2021, at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM EST
- Central Timezone: February 11, 2021, at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM CST
- Mountain and Pacific Timezones: February 11, 2021, at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM PST
- South America (Sao Paulo, Brazil datacenter): February 11, 2021, at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM BRT
- EMEA (Frankfurt datacenter): February 11, 2021, at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM CET
- APAC excluding Australia and New Zealand (Singapore datacenter): February 11, 2021, at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM SGT
- Australia and New Zealand (Sydney, AU datacenter): February 11, 2021, at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM AEDT
Non-Production Sites Upgrade Schedule
To improve the quality of the upgrade process and shorten the production upgrade window, non-production (sandbox) sites will be upgraded on Thursday, February 4, 2021, between 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM EST.
Downtime will be required for your production and non-production sites during this window.
2. Release highlights
Collaborate – 250+ sessions
Teachers and content creators can now create a bigger Collaborate session within the Collaborate plugin settings. Regular sessions of Collaborate allow up to 250 participants, but with this new feature, now teachers can enable sessions of up to 500 participants.
Special Considerations for this feature:
- Please note that this functionality is disabled for Collaborate sessions with groups.
Open Reports Experimental – Correlation Reports
The last set of correlation reports have been migrated to the new technology, with better performance, and improved ghaphics.
Find all the migrated Reports within a course in Course administration > Open Reports Experimental.
Conduit Queue Manager – Quarantined files section
In previous releases, the Conduit quarantine feature was introduced to prevent Conduit from getting stuck processing a failing file over and over.
In 3.8 MP2 the Conduit quarantine feature had been improved in a way that files that were not processed due to errors were moved to a separate folder.
In this new release, you will find a Quarantined files section within the Conduit Queue Manager. Files that were not able to be processed will be listed in this new section, and you, as an admin, will be able to interact with those files:
- View report:. By clicking this link, you will be redirected to the Reports > View transactions view
- Re process: By clicking this icon, the Conduit will attempt to run the file again. The file will be queued to be processed.
- Delete: By clicking on the garbage bin icon, you will be able to delete the file from the conduit folder.
Conduit Queue Manager – Modal notifications
Within our Conduit Queue Manager, an Admin can receive several error notifications if they upload many faulty files at once. We wanted to improve the experience of the modal window view by making these notifications more user friendly and easier to navigate.
Snap – New section cancel button
We made a small UX improvement in Snap. Before, when teachers wanted to create a new section in a course, they were not able to cancel this action. We added this possibility to shorten the process.
New block – Snap feeds block
The Open LMS team has developed a new block called the Snap feeds block, which uses Snap theme’s advanced feeds API to present users with their upcoming deadlines and latest forum posts.
Important to note:
- This block depends on the Snap theme, therefore for it to work correctly, the platform should have Snap enabled (even if it is not in use). The block works in Boost and Classic.
- The block currently supports 2 feed types, deadlines, and forum posts.
- This block can be enabled on the site front page and the My page.
- Within a course, the block can be added and the feed type available is Deadlines.
The activation of this block has to be requested via a support ticket
3. New Mobile App on the stores
In order to improve the experience and maintain coherence with all expected functionalities, the Open LMS team has released a new Open LMS App to both Android and IOS stores, you can read more about it and download the apps here.
We have fixed the known bugs in the Open LMS Mobile App related to Google Authentication and Apple device access, including compatibility with iOS 14.4.
We will need to change the connection string in your mobile app configurations to support the new versions. If you have any questions regarding the new app or the process to change the configuration, feel free to submit a ticket to connect with a member of our Support Team.
Please note: The change will not affect customers with the custom Mobile Apps. However, we invite all customers using the current Open LMS App to move the new App in order to keep up to date with our Mobile App releases and use the free push notifications feature. We will keep the older App until April 28th. If you are not using the Open LMS Mobile App, this change will not impact you.
4. Updated plugins
Review all plugins in our Plugin Matrix
Updates to plugins you are already using will be made available on your site automatically; you do not need to request it. Plugins you are not already using will not be available automatically and will need to be requested in a support ticket.
Community Plugins and Open LMS maintained Plugins
|Plug-in Name||Plug-in Components|
|New Plugin: Delete courses||tool_deletecourses|
Special considerations for plugins
The new Delete courses plugin (tool_deletecourses) is a community plugin that we added in order to help admins delete all courses in a category (including subcategories if desired). The tool may optionally bypass the recycle bin for improved performance.
Read more about this plugin here.
This plugin is available for all our customers, if you want it enabled in your platform, please request its activation via a support ticket.
5. Bug Fixes and Minor Enhancements
- Spanish translation in PLD Course login condition is incorrect
- Sharing cart – Debug errors are displayed when the block is instantiated
- Collect removing data from mdl_block_collect_mod table
- Error from S3 offsitebackup plugin
- Mispositioned panels in theme settings snap page
- Open LMS
- The “Select all X users” button doesn’t activate the drop-down menu in Participants Page (backport MDL-69964)
- Unable to edit language pack if there are modified strings for uninstalled plugins
- Open LMS
- Glossary links create duplicate popups
- AccessID authentication from Genius SIS to Open LMS not working in 3.9
- Sharing cart and modules updates for Snap
- Open LMS
- Dimmed courses (Hidden) are note greyed out on /course/ view
- Exit button un-clickable in Scorm
- Open LMS
- File resource not loading HTML content due to empty files
- Unable to add items to sharing cart using Boost or Classic themes
- Security issues – Backport
- Open LMS
- The “Go to top” button is not showing when using the Classic theme