Here’s everything you need to know about the Open LMS 3.9 Release. This is a working document, so follow this page and check back often for updates!
Open LMS Release Date
Production Data Center Upgrade Schedule
December 30, 2020
- North America, Central America, South America (Virginia, USA datacenter): Clients will be upgraded according to their timezone:
- Eastern, Amazon and Newfoundland-Labrador Timezones: December 30, 2020, at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM EST
- Central Timezone: December 30, 2020, at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM CST
- Mountain and Pacific Timezones: December 30, 2020, at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM PST
- South America (Sao Paulo, Brazil datacenter): December 30, 2020, at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM BRT
- EMEA (Frankfurt datacenter): December 30, 2020, at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM CET
- APAC excluding Australia and New Zealand (Singapore datacenter): December 30, 2020, at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM SGT
- Australia and New Zealand (Sydney, AU datacenter): December 30, 2020, at 12:30 AM – 2:30 AM AEDT
Non-Production Sites Upgrade Schedule
To improve the quality of the upgrade process and shorten the production upgrade window, non-production (sandbox) sites will be upgraded on Thursday, December 3rd, 2020, between 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM EST.
Downtime will be required for your production and non-production sites during this window.
Upgrade to Core 3.9.3
For the full releases notes from Moodle.org, please see:
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
For the best experience and optimum security, we recommend that you keep your browser up to date.
Note: Legacy browsers with known compatibility issues with Moodle 3.9:
- Internet Explorer 10 and below
- Safari 7 and below
Note: Moodle 3.9.x (LTS) will be the last version actively supporting Internet Explorer 11. Moodle 3.10 will NOT support Internet Explorer 11.
H5P full integration
With this new release, Moodle worked on a deeper integration of H5P. They have added a new H5P plugin (H5P – mod_h5pactivity) , which will be active by default for all our clients.
This new integration allows content creators to add H5P activities directly to a course, and includes a new content bank repository, where users will be able to create, store and edit H5P content within the platform. Also, teachers and administrators are now able to enable grading and attempt tracking for H5P.
Users that have the previous H5P community plugin will see now two types of H5P activities within the Activity chooser. We will keep maintaining the H5P community plugin (H5P – mod_hvp)
With this new version different accessibility improvements were made to the platform and to the Snap theme. One of the most visible improvements was made to the Atto editor, in order to improve the experience when creating accessible content.
UX and UI improvements
This release was very focused on improving the usability and user experience of the platform. Enhancements were done to elements such as the book navigation, the turn editing on button, and the user tours, and new functionalities like the “Go to top” button and course copy were added.
For our Snap theme, several UX and UI improvements were made and the Activity chooser was adapted for supporting new core features.
We have migrated several reports into the new Open Reports experimental feature. Here, improved reports, with better usability, graphic development, and enhanced performance are displayed and ready for our users.
The experimental Open LMS reports can be accessed through the Course administration menu.
It is important to note that the graphs and elements dependent on Flash in the old Open Reports have been disabled in order to avoid issues for our clients.
Other Moodle updates
The standard activity chooser has been redesigned to be more accessible and with better functionalities. Now it is easier to locate activities and resources, and the most frequently used ones can be favorited and found easier in the new Starred tab. Finally, the new Recommended tab will display activities and resources highlighted by the administrator of the platform.
Now filtering participants in courses is more effective. Users now have multiple filters options and can now build filters with multiple conditions.
Users with the relevant capabilities are now able to copy a course directly from the course or from the course management screen.
Safe exam browser
The open source browser Safe exam, which locks down quizzes when they need to be taken under specific conditions, can now be enabled in all quizzes in the 3.9 version.
- Due to several cases reporting that the IP tracking session feature (tracksessionip) logs users out, with the message “your IP number seems to have changed”, even when their IP is unlikely to have changed, the team decided to disable the functionality while we discover where the issue lies.
Review all plugins in our Plugin Matrix
Updates to plugins you are already using will be made available on your site automatically; you do not need to request it. Plugins you are not already using will not be available automatically and will need to be requested in a support ticket.
Other plugins are currently being updated. They will be added to the list as soon as they are finished.
Community Plugins and Open LMS maintained Plugins
|Plug-in Name||Plug-in Components|
|Collapsed Topics format||format_topcoll|
|Big Blue Button||mod_bigbluebuttonbn|
|ll-or-Nothing Multiple Choice||qtype_multichoiceset|
|Atto: Full screen||atto_fullscreen|
Included but with no version number changes:
|MathType by WIRIS||qtype_essaywiris|
|Office 365 plugins||auth_oidc|
Bug Fixes and Minor Enhancements
3.8 MP2 HF1
- Open LMS
- Completion Script E-mail
- \local_mrooms\task\event_queue_task failing repeatedly
- Add a flag for allowing conduit tasks to re-prioritize themselves on top
- Files not matching the file mappings are displayed on the wrong CQM list
3.8 MP2 HF2
- Course cache and new Conduit locks errors
- Deadlines section of Snap personal menu breaks when “expect completed on” is added to a label resource
- Browser Security option for Lockdown Browser Dashboard is not removed from quizzes
3.8 MP2 HF3
- Fix H3 text for Folder Mod
3.8 MP2 HF4
- Admins are able to subscribe to Conduit transaction email notifications
3.8 MP2 HF5
- Open LMS
- Completion script – New issues reported
- Backport 3.8.4 and 3.8.5 security fixes
- Conduit entity locks are not released properly sometimes
3.8 MP2 HF6
- Centralized Content Management
- Delete courses with replicas breaks CCM dashboard navigation
- Error reported when on boarding a client
- Open LMS
- Atto Equation Editor Symbols are Missing in Quiz Essay Questions (Backport MDL-68722)
3.8 MP2 HF7
- Open LMS
- Month suffix duplicated in Japanese language pack
- Open LMS
- The Content Bank repository is not available in the site Repositories.
- Video & OneNote submissions plugins are generating error messages for activity chooser and assignment submission – Backport MDL-69704
- Admin User is not able to run scheduled task in 3.9
- Backport Safe Exam Browser from Moodle 3.9
- Failures in grunt-sass task need to be fixed
- New translation package update
- Atto text editor box not displaying properly
- Update the appearance of the cancel link to the standard.
- Add library file caching to h5p (backport MDL-69207)
- ClamAV log routing feature should create the target folder
- Backport https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-69307
- Long running 3.9 upgrade step (backport MDL-70285)
- Files below quarantined file are not processed
- Break log archiving task into its own scheduled task
- Course custom fields – Warning messages when Saving course changes or processing conduit’s file
- Course custom fields – Conduit behavior do not reflect Moodle behavior
- Customs field without category or of a disabled field type are required to create courses via conduit
- Conduit fails to restore template course if Include user restore default locked
- Fix PLD event restore scenario for course date change before restore
- PLD Rule not sending email to action creator when triggered as a scheduled event
- Centralized Content Management
- Master name is not updated
- Update string for CCM supported resource types
- Course information container not focused in Category and course management view
- Resource Folder display inline content accessibility issues in Snap
- When creating an H5P Activity, some settings options are not available.
- In Snap, Errors in Messaging.
- In Snap, in the Safari browser, on the question bank, improve keyboard navigation in a question preview
- In Snap, the background color for some links needs to be fixed.
- Update activity chooser for Snap
- Course formats – 3.9 enhancements
- White background and black underlining added to all links in 3.9
- A modal snap window breaks the modal windows of CCM and deferred reports
- Content Bank link, and Improvements
- Open Reports
- Open Reports: Add button for course dashboard
- 3.8 Bug reported on plugin page
- Open reports updates (Flash messages and report by default)
- An error is displaying in Open reports/Recent activity report
- plagiarism_cron() function should be deleted from plagiarism plugins
- mindmap module error prevents site upgrade
- LTI plugins throwing error after sandbox