Teachers can create groups of students in their courses. Groups usually consist of a smaller number of students in a course, such as study groups or project groups.
Your teacher chooses the communication and collaboration tools your group can access. Your teacher can also place you into a group or allow you to select the group you want to join.
Want to know how to submit a group assignment? Jump to Submit a group assignment.
It is important to understand the group modes teachers can set in their courses. Group modes determine what groups can view and submit to a particular activity. In most activities group mode does not change how the activity functions.
- Separate groups: Each group member can only see and work in their own group. Other groups are invisible.
- Open forums: You can only see and reply to your group.
- Assignments: You can only see your own submission and group name. If you have a group assignment, see Submit a group assignment.
- Chat: You can only see and chat with your group.
- Wiki: You can only see and work in your group wiki.
- Visible groups: Each group member works in their own group. They can see other groups but can’t work in them.
- Open forums: You can see all group forums. You can only reply to your group.
- Assignments: You can only see your own submission and group names. If you have a group assignment, see Submit a group assignment.
- Chat: You can see all group chats. You can only chat with your group.
- Wiki: You can see all group wikis. You can only work in your group wiki.
- No groups: There are no groups.
Teachers can see all student work, posts, and chats no matter what the group mode setting is.
Submit a group assignment
Submit group assignments the same way you submit individual assignments.
More on submitting assignments
How do I work on an assignment with my group?
There are several ways you can work with your group on an assignment.
- Email the group from the Participants page to discuss the assignment.
- Use Chat or Open forum to discuss the assignment with the group.
- Use Wiki or Database to work on the assignment together.
Your teacher needs to set up the Chat, Open forum, Wiki, and Database activities for you to use.
- You can take turns working on the copy submitted to the assignment.
Use this option with caution. Group assignments can be set so that the first submission completes the assignment. No more edits can be made.
How do I know if I am in a group?
It is up to your teacher to tell you if the class has group work. Your teacher should also tell you what group you are in and what activities and resources are available to your group.
Do you think you should be in a group? Jump to Find your group.
How can I join a group?
Your teacher is the only one who can put you in a group.
Can I leave or change my group?
You need to ask your teacher to remove you from a group or move you to another one.